Aitana Summit and the Boulder Field
25kms 1300 metres of ascent. (shorter 16km option possible)
This run starts from Abdet and visits the highest point in all of Valencia, passing some ancient snow wells on the way. In February and early March the almond blossom lights up the terraces. You will also run through delightful cherry orchards before the steep final climb to the Aitana Summit before a run past some amazing rock crevasses. We stay on the crest of the mountain on good trails for a few kiomteres before making our descent off the summit plateau. The excitement is far from over though as next comes the superb Boulder Field Trail section, a well graded trail through a jumble of massive boulders!
Passing more impressive cliffs the descent continues and we weave our way down through the terraces before the final treat of the impressive hidden limestone canyon just a few 100 metres from Abdet.
PROFILE OF THE RUN
- Steep climb to the highest point in Valencia Steep climb to the highest point in Valencia
- The boulder Field The boulder Field
- Careful look down the rock crevasse Careful look down the rock crevasse
- Almond blossom Almond blossom
- Aitana summit ridge Aitana summit ridge
- Blue skies on Aitana summit Blue skies on Aitana summit
- Rock crevasse Rock crevasse
- Descent back to Abdet Descent back to Abdet